Thursday, July 19, 2012

Finished Items for Brave Party

I have finished the essential items for Bug-A-Boo's BRAVE birthday party.  These were all so much fun to make and I can't wait for the party.

The first thing I did was go to Joann and buy all of my supplies.  For the log toss I was able to get a piece of foam (on sale) that was 5 inches thick and I had them cut it 4-1/2 feet long.  I wanted the "logs" to be taller than the kids and figured this was a good length.  I then found some Heidi Swapp fabric that looked like wood grain and I got 3 yards of it to cover my foam "logs".  Once I got home I cut the foam into 5 inch wide "logs" and then started sewing the wood covers.


One thing I was struggling to figure out was the archery target.  I knew I needed a large circle frame of some kind that I could cover in burlap but would have the back open so that arrows could go through a hole that would be cut in the middle.  I finally found the solution at Joann.  I bought a large embroidery hoop.  I purchased 1 yard of burlap and was able to fashion a target from that.  I used basic craft paint for the bullseye.  One problem I ran into was that when I hung the target up you weren't able to see the paint because the light shone through the burlap.  I got a piece of cardboard and cut it to fit the hoop and solved the problem.


The last and biggest project were the corn hole boards.  I went to Home Depot and had a piece of plywood cut into three 4' x 2' boards.  Then I nicely asked the associate in tool rental if he had a round saw blade at least 6" that could cut out the holes.  He did and even better was when he offered to cut them out for me.  It was quite a project and he blew threw about 7 or 8 batteries for his drill before pulling out "The Beast" (a plug-in drill that was huge), but he got it done and they didn't charge me.  I love Home Depot.

In order to prop the boards up we bought 3 pieces of scrap wood that were 4' long and about 12" wide. We got some brackets and I put them together. It worked perfectly.  I used leftover primer and paint from another home project to paint the boards and basic craft paint to paint the triplets.  I used leftover wood grain fabric and rice to make the beanbags for tossing.


I can't wait for the party!  Once I get the other decorations and ideas ready I will post them. 



8 comments:

  1. Nicely done. I know Sydney can't wait until she can actually play with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Thanks for the ideas!!
    I am using rolled up yoga mats for the cabers, covered in brown wrap.
    My daughter an I made pies out of an oatmeal felt with red pompoms on top for the toss. How did you stencil the triplets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are welcome! The yoga mats is a great idea. I love the pies out of felt and pompoms on top for the Corn Hole toss. Wish I would have thought of it. I didn't stencil the Triplets, I drew them free hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job free hand! I an not so artfully blessed! I went to Joann today and bought 2 different tartans to use for sashes for my competing clans. I am also doing two more games. I made catapults out of craft sticks and will make haggis out of old nylon stockings stuffed with marshmallows and twisted to look like sausage. They will use the catapult to fling the haggis into baskets. I am also doing knock the knight, where I have two pieces of wood on ground and each girl will get a noodle and try to knock off their opponent.
    Love all your ideas! Please keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome party this is shaping up to be.

    I stumbled upon your blog searching for Wild Kratts. Got a new follower now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found me. Hope that I am able to inspire you.

      Delete
  6. I ended up getting pool noodles @ the dollar store - wrapped 4 together with packing tape and then covered them in wood looking fabric that was on sale at Hobby Lobby. We hot glued the fabric to the pool noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a great idea. I wish I would have thought of that. It would have been much cheaper I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete