Monday, August 8, 2011

Swap-Bot.com Disney Animated Film ATC's

Several months ago I found out about a fun website, Swap-bot.com.  It is an online service that organizes group swaps and a community of creative individuals.  Swap-bot takes the hassle out of participation in group swaps by organizing all of the participant information and doing all of the partner assignments.

I've participated in a few swaps in the past and really enjoyed them but during the holidays I was so busy I didn't really check out the site.  Periodically, since then I would check it out but didn't see anything that appealed to me.  It seemed like everything was an ATC (Artist Trading Card), which I don't collect and have never even really seen.

Apparently ATC's are miniature pieces of art that are traded around the world. Artists create, trade and collect art at organized “swap” events or through the mail, in person or online. The only official rule for ATCs is the size: 2.5″ x 3.5″.  As a general rule, swaps are open to any media, materials or techniques as long as the card fits into a standard trading card sleeve.  As I looked around Swap-bot to see if there was anything I was interested in I stumbled upon a Disney Animated Film ATC #1 - Snow White swap.  I read the description and it sounded interesting.
I want to celebrate all of Disneys Animated Films in a series of swaps. The first one will be Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It was released in 1937.
You will make 3 ATCs for 1 partner. 1 will be for the hero/heroine, 1 will be for the villian and 1 will be for the "little guy" because sometimes the "little guy" makes the movie.
You can draw, collage, paint, mixed media, embellish and even stitch your cards. Anything goes but please don't slap a sticker on it and call it an ATC.
ATCs are 2.5 in by 3.5 in.
I immediately thought of the cool picture I had of the Evil Queen that I took when we were at World of Disney at Downtown Disney in Disney World this past February.   In about 10 seconds I had an idea for all three cards and I signed up for the swap.

Today was the last day to sign up and the cards have to be mailed to my partner by August 18th, which won't be a problem seeing as how I finished all three today during nap time.



I am absolutely loving these cards and almost want to keep them for myself.

The Villain
(Photo by Crafty Chick, Cricut Cartridge:  Opposites Attract)
Here is the finished card that inspired me to do the swap in the first place.  Piecing the little strips of paper together took awhile, but I think it turned out pretty good.

The Little Guy
(Cricut Cartridge:  Disney's Princess-Happily Ever After)
This was the most difficult of the cards.  Not in the actual putting it together but what I wanted to do.  At first I knew that "the little guy" had to be Dopey but then I thought that Grumpy was a favorite as well.  I thought about doing a card that had both of them on it but that was proving to be to difficult and time consuming.  I settled on just doing Dopey.  I cut out the paper piecing using my Cricut and adhered it to the card using small pop dots so that he is raised up off the card a little giving him some dimension.  It was cute but it was missing something.  There wasn't much room to do anything else.  Then I saw my purple bell jar and the sparkly purple flowers.  I attached them with some embroidery thread and viola!

My favorite is the Snow White card.

The Heroine
(Cricut Cartridge:  Disney's Princess Happily Ever After)
I absolutely love this card.  The paper piecing is so easy to put together and I just think that graphically it is pretty darn good (if I may say so myself).  I do believe I will be making a duplicate for myself.

I just checked Swap-bot tonight to see if I had been assigned a partner yet and I haven't but I did see that the Disney Animated Film ATC #2 has been released and it is Pinocchio.  I wonder if the organizer plans on doing all 50 animated films.  I don't think I could do all 50 but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment