Wednesday, August 3, 2011

To sew or not to sew?

Being a Crafty Chick I have dabbled in a lot of different disciplines, scrapbooking, card making, quilting, candle making, soap making, painting/drawing, ceramics and knitting.  You name it, I've probably tried it.  Obviously, some things have stuck (scrapbooking mostly) and others have not (just couldn't get into knitting).  The only thing I never really tried was sewing.

I've always thought I might want to try it.  The closest I've gotten is making some window treatments, pillowcases and snack bags but I never really considered that sewing.  There was no pattern needed and it was pretty basic.  When I think of sewing I think of what my grandmother did.  Make clothes for the family.

Recently, a friend of mine started making skirts for her daughter and they are the cutest thing.  Every time I would see them I would think how I wanted to do that for Bug-A-Boo.  I bought some patterns but they have been sitting in a cabinet for a couple of months now.  Finally, I realized that we only have a month and a half before we leave for Disney World and I really want to make Bug-A-Boo a pillowcase dress.

I went to Joann to buy the fabric for the pattern that I have.  To my surprise I found out that in a couple of weeks they are teaching a class on how to make a pillowcase dress from the pattern I have.  With the help of a wonderful Joann Associate I purchased all of the supplies and was told that I should practice using my sewing machine before the class.  She also told me that the pattern and instructions for making the capri pants was very easy.


Instead of even thinking about the pants I saw an apron kit on clearance so I got that instead.



It was so easy to make.  The "design" was already printed on the fabric and the instructions were basically, "cut out panels", sew together like the picture.  Well, a half hour later I had a really cute apron.

This easy-peasy project was not enough for me though.  I kept thinking about the challenge of figuring out the pattern thing for myself.

A couple days went by and I was having Bug-A-Boo try on some clothes to see if they still fit her.  One of the things she tried on was a sundress that we bought while at Disney World in February.  We got it at the Polynesian with the sole purpose that she could wear it in September when we went to the Spirit of Aloha Luau.  Well, she tried it on and needless to say...she grew.  She grew a lot and the dress was way to short to be a dress anymore.  At this moment my wheels started turning.  I remember the pattern with the cute capris.  I thought about how I could cut the dress down into a shirt and use the extra fabric for the contrasting band on the the legs of the capris.

I was so excited.  I decided to do it.  I was going to sew.  Really sew.  Clothes.

I went back to Joann, found the same helpful associate and got my materials.  I came home and read the pattern and instructions.  After about 5 hours and several take-aparts (4 to be exact) and re-tries I did it!

I can't wait to make that dress.  Definitely...to sew!

No comments:

Post a Comment