Tuesday, April 22, 2014

BRAVE birthday Highland Games

A big part of the party were the Highland Games.

The kids were very excited to start the games and we began with the Corn-hole tournament.  In order to make the boards I went to Home Depot and had a piece of plywood cut into three 4' x 2' boards.  Then I nicely asked the associate in tool rental if he had a round saw blade at least 6" that could cut out the holes.  He did and even better was when he offered to cut them out for me.  It was quite a project and he blew threw about 7 or 8 batteries for his drill before pulling out "The Beast" (a plug-in drill that was huge), but he got it done and they didn't charge me.  I love Home Depot.

In order to prop the boards up we bought 3 pieces of scrap wood that were 4' long and about 12" wide. We got some brackets and I put them together. It worked perfectly.  I used leftover primer and paint from another home project to paint the boards and basic craft paint to paint the triplets.  I used leftover wood grain fabric and rice to make the beanbags for tossing.

I had the Triplets as bear cubs hanging from the tree.

The kids had a great time playing.

Next was the Caber Toss.  For the log toss I was able to get a piece of foam (on sale) that was 5 inches thick and I had them cut it 4-1/2 feet long.  I wanted the "logs" to be taller than the kids and figured this was a good length.  I then found some Heidi Swapp Fabric that looked like wood grain and I got 3 yards of it to cover my foam "logs".  Once I got home I cut the foam into 5 inch wide "logs" and then started sewing the wood covers.

This was a big hit and we still play with them two years later.

I had made a target that we hung between two trees in the back of the yard.  I knew I needed a large circle frame of some kind that I could cover in burlap but would have the back open so that arrows could go through a hole that would be cut in the middle.  I finally found the solution at Joann.  I bought a large embroidery hoop.  I purchased 1 yard of burlap and was able to fashion a target from that.  I used basic craft paint for the bullseye.  One problem I ran into was that when I hung the target up you weren't able to see the paint because the light shone through the burlap.  I got a piece of cardboard and cut it to fit the hoop and solved the problem.

I had found really inexpensive bow and arrow sets online and bought a set for each guest that they could then take home as part of their favor.  Unfortunately, the packaging that the sets came in had a  very politically incorrect Native American on it along with a knife.  I didn't want to give the kids toy knives so I opened all the sets and fashioned a sheath for the arrows for each kid.  I collected empty paper towel rolls and covered them with brown construction paper.  I then punched a hole near each end and used twine to make a strap for the "sheath".  

The kids had a great time shooting at the target and then later running around the yard shooting at things.

For more of the BRAVE party please see the links below.  Thanks for your time and please comment below to tell me how you like our party.  Don't forget to follow my blog for more fun party, scrapbooking, home decor and many other project ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment