Saturday, July 11, 2020

The Wizard of Oz Cookbook Themed Dinners - Friday

For tonight we are going to be watching the cult classic...Return to Oz, starring Fairuza Balk.  Bug-A-boo and Prince Charming have never seen it so I will be curious as to their reactions.  It is definitely creepy but I've always enjoyed it.


This meal features only one recipe from the book and that is Zeke's Honey Baked Ham.  The potatoes I found online.

The menu is set...

Zeke's Honey Baked Ham
Roasted Broccoli

ZEKE'S HONEY BAKED HAM
serves 6 to 8 

ZEKE:  Soo-eee! (shooing in a wayward hog). Get in there before I make a dime bank outa ya! (pouring feed in trough). Listen kid - are you going to let that old Gulch heifer try and buffalo ya?  She ain't nothing to be afraid of.  Have a little courage, that's all.



INGREDIENTS:
1 ham, about 6 pounds, bone in
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
3 Tbsp honey

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 35o degrees.  Place ham in a shallow roasting pan, fat side up.  Score fat with a knife.  In a small bowl, stir together mustard, brown sugar, breadcrumbs and honey.  Spread mixture over top of ham. Bake for about 1 hour.  Let rest for 5 minutes.  Carve and serve

For the ham I changed things up a bit.  I didn't want to get a huge ham for just the three of us so I bought a Cumberland Gap pre-cooked ham instead.  I made the topping, sliced the ham into steaks (but not cutting all the way through the bottom) and them spooned the topping in-between the slices and over the top and heated it in the oven according to the package directions.




The dinner was very tasty and one that I will probably make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment