Meeting at a Glance
Goal: Girls discover and give voice to their special qualities and appreciate the qualities of their sister Brownies. Then they find the values of the Girl Scout Law and prepare to share them with their families
Toward the Award: Discover Key
See Brownie Supply Schedule
Pre-Meeting (15 min)
-Greet, sign-in, and put on nametags.
-Fill in the blanks in the “Discovering Me” activity on page 49 of their Brownie Quest book.
Snack Time (Snacks, Step #4) (10 min)
- Read Chapter 1 of the girls Brownie Quest book
Opening (5 min)
- Remind the girls of the Flag Ceremony
-The Pledge Starter will hold the American Flag and be the caller for the Pledge.
-The Promise Starter will stand next to the Pledge Leader and hold the troop flag and be the caller of the Promise.
-The rest of the troop should stand together in a horseshoe shape
-Pledge Starter stands at the open end of the horseshoe, facing the troop
-Pledge Starter says, “Girl Scouts, attention.” Everyone stands at attention
-Pledge Starter says, “Girl Scouts, recite the Pledge of Allegiance. I pledge allegiance…”
-Promise Starter says, “Girl Scouts, recite the Girl Scout Promise. On my honor…”
-The flag is then posted or put away, and the Promise Starter says, “Girl Scouts, dismissed.”
-Gather and greet each other with the Girl Scout handshake.
Business (10 min)
-In the Girl Scout Brownie Ring, take attendance and collect dues, review rules and assign kapers.
-“Today we are using our Brownie Circle as the start to our special Quest to find three keys. There are three steps we have to take to find each key. Ready for the first step toward the first key.”
Activity/Exploration (50 min)
- Ball Toss: Discovering Our Special Talents and Qualities. See page 46 of Brownie Quest Guide. Do this twice.
“Today we are using our Brownie Circle as the start to our special Quest to find three keys. There are three steps we have to take to find each key. Ready for the first step toward the first key.”
“The first step is to discover all the skills and talents and qualities each of us brings with us on our Quest. So as we toss the ball around our circle, say your name and one special skill or talent or quality that you can bring into our Brownie Circle.”
- Going ELF: The Search to Discover the Values of the Girl Scout Law. The girls will get into trios and search the media center for the numbered clues. See pages 47-49 of Brownie Quest Guide.
- The girls will do the “Discovering Values” activity on page 50 of their Quest Book.
- Have Tara talk to the girls about snacking for energy and a little bit about how the body process and uses these snacks and how we will be sharing Energy Snacks with each other over the next few months.
- Pass out a large paper grocery bag to each girl and tell them about the “happy bag” we will be talking about at the next meeting. If there is time they can start to decorate the bag. Remind them to bring one item to share from their bag to the next meeting.
Clean-up (10 min)
- ALL girls participate in the clean-up time! Remind the girls of kapers and work together to leave the site better than you found it.
- The Out Scout should be rotating the names on the Kaper Chart to see who will bring the snack and beverage for the next meeting.
Closing (5 min)
- FRIENDSHIP CIRCLE – Use the Girl Scout Sign again to get the girls’ attention. Ask girls to gather around and form a circle.
- There will be a Troop Outing on January 25, 2015 to either Whole Foods Market for a kids healthy cooking class to learn about healthy eating options that you can implement in your Healthy-Living Family Activity. This is just for fun. (Brownie Quest)
- Let the girls know who will be bringing the snack next time and ask the girls to take the Snack Box home. Remind girls to show their parent the note inside the snack box.
- Form a Friendship Circle, sing, “Goodbye Brownies,” and do a friendship squeeze.
- Collect nametags and sign-out.