Meeting at a Glance
Goal: Learning to keep ourselves healthy and happy
Toward the Award: My Best Self Skill Building Badge
See Brownie Supply Schedule
Pre-Meeting (15 min)
-Greet, sign-in, and put on nametags.
-Color in the elf and fill in the boxes on page 3 of the packet. (MBS, Step #1)
Snack Time (Snacks, Step #4) (10 min)
Opening (5 min)
- Flag Ceremony
- Gather and greet each other with the Girl Scout handshake.
Business (10 min)
- In the Girl Scout Brownie Ring, take attendance and collect dues, review rules and assign kapers.
- “Today we are going to work on a skill building badge…My Best Self. We only get one body, so it’s important to take care of it! We are going to learn ways to pay attention to what our bodies need and how to ask for health help if we need it.”
- Using the talking stick share our Elf Selves with the group.
Activity/Exploration (50 min)
- Have Tara lead the group in some exercises to “get the wiggles out” (ie. jumping jacks, run in place, touch toes)
- Have Tara talk about the government-designed MyPlate food guidance system. Using construction paper and paper plates have each girl make their own MyPlate. (MBS, Step #2)
- Talk with the girls about three common reasons your “tummy” might hurt and take their temperture. (MBS, Step #3)
- Using the talking stick have each girl share one thing from their “happy bag”. (MBS, Step #4)
- Have Mandy talk to the girls about being a school counselor and what they do to help students. (MBS, Step #5)
- Pass out the Take Home letter and Family Star and tell them that they will need to go home and ask their families for help filling in the star. Remind them to bring it to the next meeting.
Clean-up (10 min)
- ALL girls participate in the clean-up time! Remind the girls of kapers and work together to leave the site better than you found it.
- The Out Scout should be rotating the names on the Kaper Chart to see who will bring the snack and beverage for the next meeting.
Closing (5 min)
- FRIENDSHIP CIRCLE – Use the Girl Scout Sign again to get the girls’ attention. Ask girls to gather around and form a circle.
- Award the girls with their My Best Self Skill Building Badges.
- There will be a Troop Outing on February 7, 2015 to do a Kids Yoga Workshop at Mat Happy Yoga in Hilliard from 12:30pm-1:30pm for $5.00 a girl. This is just for fun. (Brownie Quest)
- Let the girls know who will be bringing the snack next time and ask the girls to take the Snack Box home. Remind girls to show their parent the note inside the snack box.
- Form a Friendship Circle, sing, “Brownie Smile Song,” and do a friendship squeeze.
- Collect nametags and sign-out.