Thursday, April 16, 2015

Getting Ready For Our First Daisy Meeting

The Girl Scout Daisy program focuses on teaching the girls the Girl Scout Promise:

On my honor, I will try:
To serve God and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.


and the Girl Scout Law:

I wil do my best to be 
honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do,
and to
respect myself and others,
respect authority,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.

This is a lot to remember for a first grader so I wanted to create something where it could be displayed for them to see.  I got a tri-fold presentation board and using my Cricut I made this cute display.






Included on the outer flap was our kaper chart.  Kapers are chores in the world of Girl Scouts and we came up with the following kapers:   1 Treasurer, 1 Secretary, 1 Squeeze Starter, 1 Out Scout and 3 Clean Up Crew.  The girls would rotate positions each meeting.


The Treasurer collected our $.25 dues each meeting.  The Secretary took attendance.  The Squeeze Starter would begin the hand squeeze in the Daisy Circle at the end of each meeting and the Out Scout would help the leader in any way needed.  Each meeting 3 girls would be part of the Clean Up Crew and would make sure everything was in order at the end of each meeting.

I cut out daisies using my Cricut and wrote each girls name in the center.  Then using hot glue I adhered it to a clothes pin.  This made it easy to rotate the name on the chart.

 In addition to the presentation board I also gathered some other supplies:  crayons, markers, construction paper, glue sticks, tape, stapler and staples, pencils, scissors and other art supplies.  I also got the Home/Troop folders for the girls.

In Daisies the girls can earn a petal badge for each line of the Girl Scout Law and do 3 different Journeys.  Because we would only have one year as a Daisy Troop we decided to focus on the Petal Badges and 1 Journey, "Welcome to the Daisy Garden", which worked in tandem with the petals.  We also had a short year since our Troop was formed late and we wouldn't start meetings until the end of November and then we went into the holiday season.  That meant we were going to have to squeeze a lot of stuff into a short amount of time if the girls wanted to earn all their petals.

I also set up a "secret" Facebook page for our Troop only.  It is by invitation only and everything is completely private.  This was the absolute best way to communicate with the families.

Our first meeting would be on November 21st and would focus on the Girl Scout Promise and Honest  and Fair.


No comments:

Post a Comment