Meeting at a Glance
Goal: To learn about my family and be able to share their stories
Toward the Award: My Family Story Skill Badge
See Brownie Supply Schedule
Pre-Meeting (15 min)
-Greet, sign-in, and put on nametags.
-Draw and color a picture or your family.
Snack Time (Snacks, Step #4) (10 min)
Opening (5 min)
- Flag Ceremony
- Gather and greet each other with the Girl Scout handshake.
Business (10 min)
- In the Girl Scout Brownie Ring, take attendance and collect dues, review rules and assign kapers.
- Using the talking stick, share your pictures that you drew.
Activity/Exploration (50 min)
- Read a story about families (MFS, Step #1) The Great Big Book of Familiies by Mary Hoffman
- Have the girls share where their family is from and have them put the flag sticker on the large world map. Have them share a family recipe with the other girls and tell what the recipe is and when they normally have it. (MFS, Step #2)
- Using the talking stick have the girls share the object they brought that is special to their family. (MFS, Step #4)
- Have the girls make a family tree, use page 5 of their packet or this handout. (MFS, Step #3)
- Pass out the family crest worksheet and have the girls create their family crests with the pictures they brought. (MFS, Step #5)
Clean-up (10 min)
- ALL girls participate in the clean-up time! Remind the girls of kapers and work together to leave the site better than you found it.
- The Out Scout should be rotating the names on the Kaper Chart to see who will bring the snack and beverage for the next meeting.
Closing (5 min)
- FRIENDSHIP CIRCLE – Use the Girl Scout Sign again to get the girls’ attention. Ask girls to gather around and form a circle.
- Talk to the girls about the Connect at Home project.
- Pass out the Healthy-Living Family Activity sheet and tell them that they will need to go home and ask their families for help filling it in. Remind them to bring it to the next meeting.
- Let the girls know who will be bringing the snack next time and ask the girls to take the Snack Box home. Remind girls to show their parent the note inside the snack box.
- Form a Friendship Circle, sing, “Brownie Smile Song,” and do a friendship squeeze.