Meeting at a Glance
Goal: The girls engage in a team-building game and reflect on the experience, which guides them to create a Brownie Team Agreement - the first step to the second key.
Toward the Award: Connect Key, World Thinking Day
See Brownie Supply Schedule
Pre-Meeting (15 min)
-Greet, sign-in, and put on nametags.
-Color one of the pictures in the back of the GGGS Book.
Snack Time (Snacks, Step #4) (10 min)
Opening (5 min)
- Flag Ceremony
-Gather and greet each other with the Girl Scout handshake.
Business (10 min)
-In the Girl Scout Brownie Ring, take attendance and collect dues, review rules and assign kapers.
-“Today we are going to share our Family Stars.” Using the talking stick each girl will get to share something from their family star.
Activity/Exploration (50 min)
- Discover Key Celebration Ceremony. Hand out the Discover Key patches.*
- Play Pass the Ball, Please game to demonstrate working together as a team. See page 61 of Brownie Quest Guide.
- Create the Brownie Team Agreement. See page 53 of the girls Brownie Quest book.
- Read Chapter 2 of the girls Brownie Quest book
- For World Thinking Day show the girls the Fair Trade video on YouTube and have them try some fair trade chocolate from Whole Foods.
- Talk to the girls about the My Family Story Skill Building Badge. Tell them they will need to come prepared with the following:
- Knowing where their family came from (ie. England, Poland, Italy, China).
- A family recipe to share
- An object that means something to your family to share (ie. photograph, book, or other object)
- Think about 4 things that are important to your family (could be things that you included on your Family Star) or things that your family really likes (ie. a favorite meal, like pizza; your family pet; a favorite activity, etc.) that you could include on a family crest. Cut pictures out of magazines or bring pictures or be prepared to draw pictures that represent those things. Show them my example.
Clean-up (10 min)
- ALL girls participate in the clean-up time! Remind the girls of kapers and work together to leave the site better than you found it.
- The Out Scout should be rotating the names on the Kaper Chart to see who will bring the snack and beverage for the next meeting.
Closing (5 min)
- FRIENDSHIP CIRCLE – Use the Girl Scout Sign again to get the girls’ attention. Ask girls to gather around and form a circle.
- Let the girls know who will be bringing the snack next time and ask the girls to take the Snack Box home. Remind girls to show their parent the note inside the snack box.
- Form a Friendship Circle, sing, “Goodbye Brownies,” and do a friendship squeeze.
- Collect nametags and sign-out.
*This would be a good meeting to have a parent iron-on session.