Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Harry Potter bedroom ideas

Bug-A-Boo's Harry Potter love has extended to decorating her room.  She wants a full on Harry Potter room but I'm just not willing to fully commit to it yet.  Instead I came up with some ways (thanks to Pinterest) to add Harry Potter touches that are easy to take away when or if she outgrows it.

The first thing is the door into her room.  She wanted it to look like the grand portrait hall at Hogwarts.


The centerpiece of the door is the portrait of the Fat Lady that is in front of Gryffindor Tower.  I printed out the picture and created a frame using gold paper.  I placed it in the 12 x 12 display frame on her door.

I found the speech bubbles at Michaels.  They are wooden speech and thought bubbles.  I used chalkboard paint so that we could write messages on them like the pictures are talking.


I also found these decorative wooden frames at Michaels that I spray painted gold.  I printed out pictures of Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin from the ride at Universal Studios Orlando.


I also found pictures of Dumbledore, McGonagall, Harry, Ron and Hermione.



We also included a picture of Hagrid and Snape as well as photos of Dumbledore's Army and The Order of the Phoenix.




For the doorknob I found a wooden door hanger and in Photoshop I created the artwork.  Colloportus is a locking spell and Alohamora is the unlocking spell.



Using some stickers that I had I decorated her light switch plate with the spells for turning on lights and turning them off.


The next idea I found on Pinterest.  I got a wooden plaque and painted it black.  I cut out letters in gold paper and used Modge Podge to adhere them to the wood.  I then used some eye hooks and string to make the hanging line.  I had some small black clothes pins and I attached some of Bug-A-Boo's Little Miss Match socks to the line using the clothes pins.




Another idea from Pinterest is this bulletin board.  I found the artwork at different websites and printed everything out at home.  I bought a cork bulletin board and decorated it with the artwork.







I bought a little wooden shelf and painted it black so she would have a place to not only hang and display her various medals but also display some Harry Potter memorabilia like her Golden Snitch, her wand, a chocolate frog box and her house cup.



In front of her window I  made the flying keys from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.  I found the keys at Michaels.  I cut out wings using vellum and my Cricut and then I used clear thread and little eye hooks to hang them from the ceiling.




The final bit (and one of the most fun for me) was the Harry Potter paper dolls.  I made her a set of all of the dolls I had created for my Etsy.com shop years ago and I framed them and they are now hanging in her room.


Harry Potter, Ginny Weasley, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, Rubeus Hagrid, Severus Snape, Albus Dumbledore and Voldemort.


Neville Longbottom, Draco Malfoy, Luna Lovegood, Sybill Trelawney, Minerva McGonagall, Alastair Moody, Bellatrix LeStrange and Dolores Umbridge.


The newest set included Seamus Finnegan, Fred and George Weasley, Oliver Wood, Gilderoy Lockhart and Moaning Myrtle.

I printed the Marauders Map onto some parchment like yardstick and framed the paper dolls.




There is a lot more that she wants to do to get her Harry Potter bedroom but for now this will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment