Meeting at a Glance
Goal: Brownies earn the Connect Key by first exploring the “circles” of their lives and then expanding their caring to their community by writing a letter to a school or town official to seek a healthy-living improvement.
Toward the Award: Connect Key
See Brownie Supply Schedule
Pre-Meeting (15 min)
-Greet, sign-in, and put on nametags.
-Color one of the pictures in the back of the GGGS Book.
Snack Time (Snacks, Step #4) (10 min)
Opening (5 min)
- Flag Ceremony
-Gather and greet each other with the Girl Scout handshake.
Business (10 min)
-In the Girl Scout Brownie Ring, take attendance and collect dues, review rules and assign kapers.
Activity/Exploration (50 min)
- Gather the girls around for the Creating Circles of Caring activity
- Have the girls talk about what they did with their families for the Healthy-Living Family Activity. Tape each family commitment card to the “Family Circle”
- Read “The Case of the Broken Sidewalk” on page 64 of the Girls Journey book. Discuss.
- Talk to the girls about the sugar content in the school breakfasts.
|Daily recommended about 26grams or 6 sugar cubes|
- Brainstorm some ideas of what may need fixing in their neighborhoods or school. (idea: write a letter to the School Superintendent asking for healthier school breakfasts and copy all three school principals)
- Write the letter.
- If time, read Chapter 3 of the Brownie Quest book.
Clean-up (10 min)
- ALL girls participate in the clean-up time! Remind the girls of kapers and work together to leave the site better than you found it.
- The Out Scout should be rotating the names on the Kaper Chart to see who will bring the snack and beverage for the next meeting.
Closing (5 min)
- FRIENDSHIP CIRCLE – Use the Girl Scout Sign again to get the girls’ attention. Ask girls to gather around and form a circle.
- Connect Key Celebration Ceremony. Hand out the Connect Key patches.
- Their will be an outing on March 29, 2015 from 1:15pm-2:45pm at Library for complete our Dancer Skill Building badge.
- Let the girls know who will be bringing the snack next time and ask the girls to take the Snack Box home. Remind girls to show their parent the note inside the snack box.
- Form a Friendship Circle, sing, “Goodbye Brownies,” and do a friendship squeeze.
- Collect nametags and sign-out.